World's first global mobile Linux initiative begins membership process, encourages creation of an ecosystem spanning application and middleware developer communities
LIBERTYVILLE, Ill, TOKYO, YOKOHAMA, Japan, SEOUL, South Korea and NEWBURY, England - 25 January 2007 - To support their goal of creating the world's first globally competitive, Linux-based software platform for mobile devices, Motorola, NEC,
A not-for-profit organization, the LiMo Foundation is aimed at blending the community-based development benefits of transparency, innovation and scalability with the best development practices from the mobile community to create an innovative new business model. Overseen by a Board of Directors comprising representatives from the founding member companies including Foundation Chairman, Greg Besio of Motorola and Vice Chair, Kiyohito Nagata of
LiMo Foundation details - along with guiding principles and bylaws - can be found at http://www.limofoundation.org. Foundation members will be involved in building an active ecosystem and will have the opportunity to influence the evolution of the platform, leaving them free to provide compelling and differentiated services to customers.
The LiMo Foundation, through a fair and balanced contribution and participation process, will focus primarily on the joint development of a competitive Linux-based mobile platform, built around a common source code tree that can adapt to ever evolving market requirements around the world. In addition, members will also work on the following:
- Establishment of safeguards to minimize fragmentation;
- Collaboration on a mobile Linux developer ecosystem;
- Co-operation with existing industry organizations
- Securing new members from across the industry: device manufacturers, operators, chip set manufacturers, independent software vendors, integrators and third party developers
- About the LiMo Foundation
- The LiMo Foundation is an independent, not-for-profit entity that strives to increase the adoption of Linux within the mobile industry. The LiMo Foundation aims to leverage the mobile Linux platform to create an open, transparent, scalable ecosystem spanning application and middleware developer communities and to encourage the creation of compelling, differentiated and enhanced consumer experiences. A full description of the foundation, including the vision, goals, charter and membership information can be found at www.limofoundation.org.