TOKYO, JAPAN, March 28, 2006 ---
In addition, DoCoMo will acquire 2,092,000 shares of LAWSON common stock owned by LAWSON as treasury stock, or about 2% of total issued shares, for about nine billion yen on April 14, 2006 (tentative date). The capital tie-up will strengthen cooperation and facilitate faster development and implementation of new services.
The deals will converge substantial business assets of the two companies, namely DoCoMo's more than 50 million mobile phone subscribers and LAWSON's some 8,300 convenience stores nationwide. The combination of brands, customer bases, know-how and experience will result in a variety of convenient, value-added services.
Initially, about 100 LAWSON convenience stores will introduce DoCoMo's iD™ credit card payment service for "
Going forward, the two companies will hold regular meetings to consider various ways to enhance the collaboration, such as:
- Provide LAWSON club members with iD-linked "
- Offering ad-distribution services via ToruCa
- Installing iD-compatible readers on ATMs in LAWSON stores
- Linking the DoCoMo Coin™ and LAWSON purchase-point programs
- LAWSON stores providing administrative services for certain DoCoMo services
- Developing store operations utilizing "Osaifu-Keitai"
- Utilizing both companies' resources to provide new services at LAWSON stores
- About NTT DoCoMo
NTT DoCoMois the world's leading mobile communications company, serving more than 50 million customers. The company offers a wide variety of leading-edge mobile multimedia services, including i-mode™which provides e-mail and Internet access to over 45 million subscribers as the world's most popular mobile Internet service, and FOMA™, launched in 2001 as the world's first 3G mobile service based on W-CDMA. In addition to wholly owned subsidiaries in Europe, North America and Asia, the company is expanding its global reach through strategic alliances with mobile and multimedia service providers in Asia-Pacific and Europe. NTT DoCoMois listed on the Tokyo (9437), London (NDCM) and New York (DCM) stock exchanges. For more information, visit www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english.
- About LAWSON
- LAWSON is the one of biggest franchiser for convenience stores business in Japan, having 3,000 employees; the number of stores exceeds 8,300 as of February 28, 2006. LAWSON presents three different types of convenience stores. Regular LAWSON targets at male customer between 20's and 40's, who is so-called CVS core target. Natural LAWSON provides "Beauty" and "Health" to female customer between 20's and 40's who do not hesitate to pay premium prices to premium products. Lastly, LAWSON STORE 100, whose targets are housewives and elderly customers, offers products at a flat-rate price of only ¥100 per item. For more information, please visit www.lawson.co.jp