TOKYO, JAPAN, May 28, 2007 --- FamilyMart Co., Ltd. and
From July 10, FamilyMart convenience stores nationwide will begin accepting mobile credit via DoCoMo's iD™ platform, thereby enabling users to make payments simply by waving their phones over a reader/writer. Currently, the iD platform is accepted in about 140 FamilyMart stores in Tokyo, Nagoya and Fukuoka cities.
The two companies expect to leverage mutually beneficial strengths, including FamilyMart's nationwide network of approximately 7,000 convenience stores and expertise in retail store operations, and DoCoMo's some 52 million customers and expertise in
Initially, FamilyMart will upgrade reader/writers at FamilyMart payment counters for compatibility with DoCoMo's ToruCa™ information-capture service, thereby enabling customers to download coupons and useful information into their DoCoMo phones. In addition,
The strategic alliance will be enhanced in other ways as well, including:
- Introduction of iD mobile payments for purchases made on FamilyMart's shopping website (http://www.famima.com/).
- Introduction of the "Famima iD" mobile credit card for "Famima Card" credit-card users. (FamilyMart currently offers credit and non-credit [points and other benefits only] versions of the Famima Card, numbering 1.67 million cardholders as of April 2007.)
- Provision of benefits for using DoCoMo's DCMX™ and FamilyMart's "Famima iD" mobile credit cards via the iD platform at FamilyMart stores.
- Trial use of Famima Cards by owners of DoCoMo phones with
Going forward, the two companies will consider other options, including:
- Incorporation of
Osaifu-Keitaiservices in FamilyMart's customer relationship management (CRM) operations.
- Test marketing of other mobile-related services at selected FamilyMart stores.
- Exchanges of personnel to further develop value-added mobile-related services at FamilyMart stores.
- About FamilyMart
- FamilyMart centered on its core business of operating convenience stores through a network of more than 13,000 stores in Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, China and the United States of America, engaging in retailing business that provides more than 10 million customers everyday with high-value-added merchandise garnished with sincerity and hospitality.
FamilyMart's business policy is to conduct convenience store operations in a way that enables customers, franchisees, business partners, and employees to interact harmoniously, and also to be an innovative corporate group that is the most advanced in its industry.
FamilyMart is listed on the Tokyo stock exchange (8028).
For more information, visit www.family.co.jp/english.
- About NTT DoCoMo
NTT DoCoMois the world's leading mobile communications company. DoCoMo serves more than 52 million customers, including 36 million people subscribing to FOMA™, launched as the world's first 3G mobile service based on W-CDMAin 2001. DoCoMo also offers a wide variety of leading-edge mobile multimedia services, including i-mode™, the world's most popular mobile e-mail/Internet service, used by more than 47 million people. With the addition of credit-card and other e-wallet functions, DoCoMo mobile phones have become highly versatile tools for daily life. NTT DoCoMois listed on the Tokyo (9437), London (NDCM) and New York (DCM) stock exchanges. For more information, visit www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english.