TOKYO, April 26, 2010 ---
The new platform will offer improved processing speeds for high-quality video and enhanced 3D graphics processing for advanced mobile multimedia functions.
All six companies will utilize their expertise in mobile phone development based on their respective experiences in using existing platforms for either Symbian or Linux. In particular, the new platform will enable mobile phone manufacturers Fujitsu, NEC, Panasonic Mobile Communications and Sharp to avoid having to develop basic application-processing functions on their own, thereby allowing them to significantly reduce development time and costs and conversely invest more time and resources in the development of manufacturer-specific handset features.
The platform is planned to be offered to mobile phone manufacturers worldwide.
Compatibility with open operating systems such as Android also is under consideration.
New Application Platform (shaded area) for Mobile Phones
Note: White parts are subject to integration and verification.
NTT DOCOMO NTT DOCOMOis the world's leading mobile operator and provider of advanced mobile services. The company serves over 56 million customers in Japan, including 48 million using i-mode™, the world's most popular mobile e-mail/Internet platform, and 53 million using FOMA™, the world's original 3G mobile service based on W-CDMA. As a leader in the development of cutting-edge mobile technologies, DOCOMO is continually expanding the role of mobile phones as versatile and highly personalized “lifestyle tools” for everyday life, including with a wide range of innovative services for mobile payments, GPS, mobile TV, multimedia content and much more. NTT DOCOMOis listed on the Tokyo (9437), London (NDCM) and New York (DCM) stock exchanges. For more information, visit www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english.
FOMA service is only available in Japan.
- About Renesas Electronics
- Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723), the world's number one supplier of microcontrollers, is a premiere supplier of advanced semiconductor solutions including microcontrollers, SoC solutions and a broad-range of analog and power devices. Business operations began as Renesas Electronics in April 2010 through the integration of NEC Electronics Corporation (TSE:6723) and Renesas Technology Corp., with operations spanning research, development, design and manufacturing for a wide range of applications. Headquartered in Japan, Renesas Electronics has subsidiaries in 20 countries worldwide. More information can be found at www.renesas.com.
- About Fujitsu
- Fujitsu is a leading provider of IT-based business solutions for the global marketplace. With approximately 175,000 employees supporting customers in 70 countries, Fujitsu combines a worldwide corps of systems and services experts with highly reliable computing and communications products and advanced microelectronics to deliver added value to customers. Headquartered in Tokyo, Fujitsu Limited (TSE:6702) reported consolidated revenues of 4.6 trillion yen (US$47 billion) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2009. For more information, please see: www.fujitsu.com.
- About NEC Corporation
- NEC Corporation has devoted more than 100 years of technological innovation to serving people around the world. The NEC Group's concept of a “C&C Cloud”integrates Computers with Communications and provides services that contribute to the advancement of society, individuals and business. NEC combines IT and network technologies to deploy solutions with the scalability, capability and affordability to meet the complex and ever-changing needs of business and to empower society. For additional information, please visit the NEC website at: http://www.nec.com.
NEC is a registered trademark of NEC Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Other product or service marks mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners. ©2010 NEC Corporation.
- About Panasonic Mobile Communications
- Panasonic Mobile Communications Co., Ltd. headquartered in Yokohama, Japan, is a Panasonic Group company specialized in the development and manufacture of mobile communications products from mobile handsets to carrier base-station devices and other infrastructure equipment. Since its establishment in 1958, the company has been developing cutting edge technologies including the world's first 3G video handset in 2001. The company is committed to providing added-value solutions to end-users through its mobile communications products. For more information, please visit http://panasonic.net/products/mobile/.
- About Sharp
- Sharp Corporation is a worldwide developer of innovative products and core technologies that play a key role in shaping the future of electronics. As a leader in liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and digital technologies, Sharp offers one of the broadest and most advanced lines of consumer electronics, information products and electronic components, while also creating new network businesses. Sharp Corporation employs 61,900 people in the world (as of February 28, 2010) and recorded consolidated annual sales of 2,847,227 million yen for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2009. For more information, please visit Sharp's Web site at http://sharp-world.com/index.html.