TOKYO, JAPAN, October 20, 2010 --- The members of the Smart Network Project -
The tests and demonstrations will take place in Yokohama city’s Minato Mirai 21 district between November 2010 and March 2011.
Initial test facilities (see attachment) are planned to be completed by November 4 in time for inspections by the media and participants in the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meetings, which will be held in Yokohama from November 7 to 14. The facilities are expected to be further expanded and eventually opened to the public.
The Smart Network Project comprises two groups to test network technologies and processes:
Home/EV Network Group
- Management of electricity generated by a home solar-power system and stored in electric vehicles.
- Communication protocols for transmitting electricity stored in electric vehicles to homes.
- Server-integrated femtocell base transceiver station connected to appliances, and electric vehicles equipped with FOMA™ 3G communication modules, to manage power-consumption efficiency.
- Sekisui House
- Home network that monitors house/appliance status for CO2 emission reductions.
- Advanced indoor communication technologies for enhanced home life.
EV Support Network Group
- Communication protocols for EV charging stations and servers.
- Unmanned charging stations using remote management/maintenance systems.
- NAMCO BANDAI Games
- Communication protocols for transmission of EV data (battery level, location, etc.).
- EV data monitoring for car-sharing services.
- In-building power monitoring system to accommodate EV charging stations.
- Communication protocols for transmitting power data from buildings.
The Smart Network Project was adopted by Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications in June as a part of the Projects to Standardize and Promote Network Integration Control Systems. The goal is to build a sustainable low-carbon society through the development of smart grids, networked home appliances and electric vehicles connected via common communication standards. The project, in cooperation with the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, is working with the public/private Japan Smart Community Alliance to accelerate nationwide efforts to develop global communication standards.
NTT DOCOMO, INC. NTT DOCOMOis the world’s leading mobile operator and provider of advanced mobile services. The company serves over 56 million customers in Japan, including 49 million using i-mode™, the world’s most popular mobile e-mail/Internet platform, and 54 million using FOMA™, the world’s original 3G mobile service based on W-CDMA. As a leader in the development of cutting-edge mobile technologies, DOCOMO is continually expanding the role of mobile phones as versatile and highly personalized “lifestyle tools” for everyday life, including with a wide range of innovative services for mobile payments, GPS, mobile TV, multimedia content and much more. NTT DOCOMO is listed on the Tokyo (9437), London (NDCM) and New York (DCM) stock exchanges. For more information, visit www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english.
FOMA service is only available in Japan.
- About NEC Corporation
- NEC Corporation is a leader in the integration of IT and network technologies that benefit businesses and people around the world. By providing a combination of products and solutions that cross utilize the company’s experience and global resources, NEC’s advanced technologies meet the complex and ever-changing needs of its customers. NEC brings more than 100 years of expertise in technological innovation to empower people, businesses and society. For more information, visit NEC at http://www.nec.com.
NEC is a registered trademark of NEC Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Other product or service marks mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners. ©2010 NEC Corporation.
- About Sekisui House, Ltd.
- Sekisui House is the largest home builder in Japan with cumulative sales of 2 million housing units as of 2010. Since 1999, the company has positioned the environment as a core management target and provided numerous environmentally and sustainably conscious products as a front-runner among industrialized housing manufacturers. In 2009, the company started sales of “Green First,” environmentally friendly houses with basic functions focused on safety and assurance, equipped with solar-power system or fuel cells designed for homes, which reduce CO2 emissions and realize low energy costs at the same time. The company is also known for its role in overseas and city planning projects, applying what the company has achieved from building enriched housing environments that are both sustainable and friendly to the environment and local communities. For more information, visit http://www.sekisuihouse.co.jp/english/.
- About NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
- NAMCO BANDAI Games is a leading creator, manufacturer, and distributor of amusement video game consoles, software and mobile entertainment content. The company is a part of the NAMCO BANDAI group of companies known for creating and publishing many of the industry’s top video game franchises including PAC-MAN®, SOULCALIBUR®, and Tekken® brands. With a vision to become the world’s most excellent game manufacturer that brings joy, fun and satisfaction to our users, NAMCO BANDAI Games continues to diversify its entertainment business around the world. For more information about NAMCO BANDAI Games, visit http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/english/.