July 26, 2013
NTT DOCOMO to Begin Prelaunch Operation of 150 Mbps LTE Service
TOKYO, JAPAN, July 26, 2013 --- NTT DOCOMO, INC., a personalized mobile solutions provider for smarter living, announced today that it will begin verifying its XiTM LTE service with a maximum downlink of 150 Mbps in Kawasaki, Kanagawa Prefecture from July 30.
DOCOMO, in addition to steadily improving the quality of its LTE network for increased reliability, continues to upgrade LTE coverage and data transmission speeds, most recently by expanding 112.5 Mbps downlink service to more than 130 cities as of this month.
Milestones in DOCOMO's LTE Data Transmission Speeds
|Launch||Max. Downlink3||Max. Uplink3|
|Dec. 2010||75 Mbps||25 Mbps|
|Nov. 2012||100 Mbps4||37.5 Mbps4|
|Mar. 2013||112.5 Mbps4||37.5 Mbps4|
|Oct. 2013 (scheduled)||150 Mbps||50 Mbps|
- 1 Published LTE maximum downlink data transmission speeds of mobile operators in Japan as of July 2013.
- 2 Will be compatible with selected handsets introduced from October 2013.
- 3 Services provided on a best-effort basis. Speeds may vary depending on network traffic or transmission environments.
- 4 Available in parts of Hokkaido, Tohoku, Shinetsu, Hokuriku, Chugoku, Shikoku and Okinawa.
- Transmission speeds are theoretical maximums. Services are provided on a best-effort basis. Speeds may vary depending on network traffic or transmission environments.
- Xi is a trademark of NTT DOCOMO, INC.
- Xi is only available to subscribers in Japan.
About NTT DOCOMO
NTT DOCOMO provides innovative, convenient and secure mobile services that enable smarter living for each customer. The company serves over 61 million mobile customers in Japan via advanced wireless networks, including a nationwide 3G network and one of the world's first commercial LTE networks. Leveraging its unique capabilities as a mobile operator, DOCOMO is a leading developer of cutting-edge technologies for NFC mobile payments, mobile GPS, mobile TV, intuitive mobile assistance, environmental monitoring, smart grids and much more. Overseas, the company provides technical and operational expertise to eight mobile operators and other partner companies. NTT DOCOMO is listed on the Tokyo (9437), London (NDCM) and New York (DCM) stock exchanges. Please visit https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/ for more information.