Documents Verifying Identity
Be sure to check Prevention of Improper Use of Mobile Phones Initiative in advance.
When Applying for a New Subscription
- In the case of making a new subscription under a personal name, the application must be made by the subscriber. An application cannot be accepted from a representative (except for a member of the subscriber's family).
- If a family member of the subscriber applies for the subscriber, a letter of attorney, identification document of the family member, and a document verifying that the person applying is a member of the subscriber's family (Family Register [Koseki Tohon], Certificate of Residence [Juminhyo] without Individual Number (social security and tax number) printed on it, etc.) are required in addition to an identification document of the subscriber. When other than ① a Japanese driver's license or ② an Individual Number Card (My Number Card) is used as the identification document of the member of the subscriber's family, an additional document is required.
1. Identification documents of the subscriber
|Identification documents with the subscriber's current address (A photocopy is not acceptable)||Requirements for procedures to pay your monthly bill|
One of the following:
One of the following (in the name of the subscriber):
If the subscriber does not have any of the above, the subscriber's bankbook plus seal are required.
If the subscriber does not have any of the above, one of the following and additional document*1 are required.
For details on applying with an identification document other than the above (a document issued from a government or municipal office), contact DOCOMO in advance.
Identification document of minor
Certified Copy of Commercial Registration (Tokiboto [sho] hon) or Seal Registration Certificate
One of the following:
- The identification document must be valid and show the name, date of birth, and current address. (Documents that do not show the expiry date must have been issued within the last three months.) The current address must be printed or written in pen or other medium that cannot be erased. The subscriber may also be asked to present identification documents in addition to those shown in the table above.
- If the address shown on the identification document is different from the current address, perform the procedure to change the address in advance. (In the case of Japanese driver's license, even if it shows the old address, the application will be accepted if one of the additional documents in the table below is presented.)
- For those of foreign nationality, please present a document that can verify the duration of stay, in addition to the identification document. Moreover, please present your foreign passport when using installment plans.
- If you apply to pay by automatic payment, one or two bills may be sent before the setup procedure is completed with your financial institution. In this case, please pay the bill at a convenience store that handles DOCOMO charges payment, financial institution, or DOCOMO service counter.
- For a DOCOMO installment payment contract, the procedure to pay by bank card or credit card needs to be completed when applying with a ③ Japanese Health Insurance Certificate. Also, if the expiry date on the ⑤ Residence card or Certificate of Alien Registration is before the end of the installment payment contract period, DOCOMO installment payment contract may not be able to be used.
- If you will use DOCOMO installment payments, check About Purchasing in Installments.
- Please check Application Procedure of Hearty Discount for details on the documents required for the Hearty Discount application procedure.
Certificate of Residence (Juminhyo) without Individual Number (social security and tax number) printed on it
Monthly payments can be made with one of the credit cards listed below. (Credit cards may not be accepted in some cases.)
Customers who pay monthly usage charges by automatic payment or credit card will, with the exception of some, be subscribed to e-billing.
- What is e-billing?
A service providing a ¥20 discount*2 per line from the bill following the month of application that allows you to check your monthly usage charges via sp-mode, i-mode, or the Internet instead of having the monthly delivered notification of automatic payment or notification of usage charges sent by post.
- The discount is not applicable to some billing plans.
2. Identification documents of the user (if the subscriber and user are different people)
When the person who is registering as the user is not the subscriber, a document verifying the full name and date of birth of the user (a photocopy is acceptable) must be presented separately.
- DOCOMO asks subscribers to register user information (full name and date of birth) for minors to ensure safe and secure Internet use.
3. Necessary fees
- Contract handling fee*3 of ¥3,000 (This will be included in your bill the following month along with usage charges.)
- No fee applies in the case of docomo Online Shop.
- Payment for handset, accessories, etc.
The following customers may be required to pay a deposit of an amount determined by DOCOMO (max. ¥100,000/contract, non-taxable and interest-free) at the time of subscription. Furthermore, subscriptions requiring deposits are not applicable for the DOCOMO installment payment option to pay for the cost of the device.
- Those applying for multiple subscriptions (number determined by DOCOMO) within a certain period
- Those with payments outstanding to other mobile phone, PHS, satellite mobile phone carriers, etc.
Whether an Additional Document is Required Depending on Identification Document Type and Payment Method
If a Japanese driver's license or an Individual Number Card (My Number Card) is used as the identification document of the subscriber, an additional document is not required regardless of the payment method.
If the subscriber does not have ① a Japanese driver's license or ② an Individual Number Card (My Number Card), bring one of the following with you.
|Identification documents with the subscriber's current address
(A photocopy is not acceptable)
|Requirements for procedures to pay your monthly bill *4|
|Credit card||Bank card||Bankbook plus seal|
|Japanese Health Insurance Certificate||Not required||Required*5||Required|
|Basic Resident Registration Card
(must show subscriber's photo)
|Not required||Not required||Required|
|Residence card or Certificate of Alien Registration||Not required||Not required||Required|
- In the case of the procedure to pay your monthly bill together with the charges of a line subscribed to in the name of a subscriber, an additional document is required.
- An additional document in the subscriber's legal representative or family name is also acceptable.
- You may be asked to present an additional document regardless of the above.
Items Required When Applying to Change Models
- The contract handling fee of ¥3,000 (No fee applies in the case of the online shop.) for changing subscriptions between Xi "crossy" and FOMA and the registration handling fee of ¥2,000 (no fee applies in the case of the online shop) for changing models will be billed along with next month's usage charges.
- You will be asked to verify your identity by, for example, entering your network PIN, presenting identification documents, and showing the phone purchase confirmation screen on your current mobile phone. When the subscription is under a corporate name, a letter of attorney, employee ID, or business card, and identification document of the person who applies are required.
- If the procedure is to be performed by a representative, an identification document of the subscriber, letter of attorney, and identification document of the representative are required.
[When concluding an installment payment contract at the same time as changing models or subscriptions]
If the application will be under a personal name, it must be made by the subscriber. An application cannot be accepted from a representative (except for a member of the subscriber's family).
- If the procedure is to be performed by a family member, an identification document of the subscriber, a letter of attorney, identification document of the family member, and a document verifying that the person applying is a member of the subscriber's family (Family Register [Koseki Tohon], Certificate of Residence [Juminhyo] without Individual Number (social security and tax number) printed on it, etc.) are required.
- If a subscriber who is a minor will purchase the mobile phone with the installment payments and Basic Course, a letter of consent from the legal parent or guardian and identification document of the legal parent or guardian will also be required.
- Additional identification documents of the subscriber are not required.
- If you have joined a point sharing group, members other than the representative member can use points (The consent of the representative member is not required).
- If single billing is used under a corporate name, the points can also be used by subscribers other than the representative line subscriber (the consent of the representative line subscriber is not required, but if the representative line subscriber has applied for the point sharing reject setting, the consent of the representative line subscriber is required to use points).
When Performing Other Procedures
- Presentation of an identification document of the subscriber may not be necessary depending on the application details.
The identity of the subscriber will instead be verified by the subscriber entering the 4-digit network PIN set when a new application was made.
- If DOCOMO receives a request for confirmation of the contracting customer's proof of identity from police, or if contracting customer's name or address is different from the actual ones, DOCOMO may ask the customers to bring their original documents verifying the contracting customer's proof of identity and their handset that is currently used to a docomo Shop in order to reconfirm their name and address. If it cannot be confirmed, DOCOMO will stop their services.
- A deposit (max. ¥100,000/contract [non-taxable], interest-free, of an amount determined separately by DOCOMO) may be required at the time of subscription for persons indicated below. DOCOMO installment payment is not available for the purchase of mobile phones under subscriptions that require deposits.
- Person applying for multiple contracts (of more than the number of contracted lines DOCOMO agreed on) within a certain period
- Persons with payments outstanding to other mobile phone, PHS, satellite mobile phone carriers, etc.
New application by a minor
- Minors making a new application must present: ① documents verifying the minor's identity, ② a letter of consent bearing a legal parent or guardian's signature or written name and seal, and ③ documents verifying the identity of the legal parent or guardian.
- DOCOMO may also telephone the legal parent or guardian to confirm the application.
- Additional identification documents are not required.
Application by a representative
- An application may not be able to be accepted from a representative depending on the order.
- In the case of making a new subscription under a personal name or concluding a DOCOMO installment payment contract at the same time as changing models or subscriptions under a personal name, a representative (except for a family member of the subscriber) cannot make the application. The application must be made by the subscriber.
- A representative (except for a guardian) cannot make an application for some of the services related to the subscriber's confidentiality of communications such as the Itemized Billing Service. The application must be made by the subscriber.
- If the line is subscribed to the Web Itemized Billing Service, a representative cannot make an application for the d ACCOUNT to be issued or reissued.
- For application made by a representative, the following documentations are required. The subscriber may be contacted by phone if necessary.
- Documents verifying the subscriber's identity
- Letter of authorization with contracting customer's signature or seal (Seal required if the subscription is in the name of a company or organization.)
- The Letter of Attorney must indicate the date, details of the application (mobile phone number, requested procedure(s), etc.), the name, address, and contact phone number of the representative, and the name, address, and contact phone number of the authorizing party (subscriber).
- If any information on the Letter of Attorney is found to be false, service may be suspended or the contract may be cancelled.
- Documents to verify identity of representative will be necessary. Only original documents are accepted. When other than a Japanese driver's license or Individual Number Card (My Number Card) is used as the identification document, an additional document is required.
Mailing a confidential letter
- Subscription confirmation notices marked confidential (cannot be forwarded) will be sent to new subscribers. If subscription confirmation documents are returned to us, you may be required to bring original identification documents that include your name and address to a docomo Shop so that DOCOMO can verify that you are the subscriber. If we are unable to verify your identity, your service may be suspended.
- Confirmation documents may be sent by registered mail (cannot be forwarded) in some cases depending on the type of original identification documents.
- DOCOMO will post subscription confirmation documents including the mobile phone number, the subscriber's name and address, and other information marked confidential to the legal parents or guardians of new subscribers under 20 years old to verify their consent, if they have provided consent. DOCOMO may also contact legal parents or guardians for confirmation.
Prevention of Improper Use of Mobile Phones Initiative
- In accordance with the Act for Prevention of Improper Use of Mobile Phones (effective as of April 1, 2006), DOCOMO is required to confirm the subscriber's identity with original identification documents as specified by DOCOMO and make a record of that confirmation. Even subscribers who already have a subscription with DOCOMO are required to confirm their identity with original identification documents. You are not permitted to transfer ownership of the docomo UIM Card (FOMA Card) used for the subscription to another party without notifying DOCOMO.
- In order to prevent mobile phone subscriptions that have been illicitly obtained with forged documents verifying identity from being used in bank transfer scams and other crimes, DOCOMO may determine that it is necessary to confirm the validity of the documents verifying identity (such as a Japanese driver's license) presented by the subscriber at the time of subscription. In such case, we may provide the issuing authority (police agencies, etc.) with the information of that document (Japanese driver's license, etc.) to confirm its validity. We ask for your understanding in our efforts to prevent bank transfer scams and other crime.
- In order to prevent large numbers of improper subscriptions under the same name, individuals are generally limited to a maximum of five line subscriptions, including currently active subscription lines, subscription lines for which the phone numbers are stored, and inactive subscription lines, under the same personal name for each line type determined by DOCOMO.
- Unless otherwise specified, all indicated amounts exclude tax.