Procedures for Switching from Another Carrier to DOCOMO with Mobile/PHS Number Portability (MNP)
If you are considering switching from another carrier to DOCOMO, this page shows the procedure for a new application with Mobile/PHS Number Portability (MNP). You can keep using the same phone number you used with another carrier with DOCOMO.
STEP 1 Acquire MNP reservation number
Apply to your current carrier for MNP. You will receive a MNP reservation number.
Valid period for MNP reservation number is 15 days including the day of reservation.
Applications for MNP can be made by contacting the carriers as noted below.
MNP reservation contacts
|By phone||By carrier website (mobile phone version)|
(9 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
Keitai (9 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
Smartphone/PC (9 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
|Softbank||*5533 from a SoftBank mobile phone or
from landline phones etc.
(9 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
Keitai (9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.)
Smartphone/PC (9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.)
|Y!mobile||116 or 0120-921-156 from landline phones etc. (9 a.m. to 8 p.m.)||My Y!mobile (9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.)
(As of May 30, 2019)
- Phone numbers may change. Please inquire with the individual carrier for details.
STEP 2 Apply for new subscription
Bring your MNP reservation number to a DOCOMO dealer and apply for a new subscription using MNP.
- Due to circumstances with the system that links the different companies involved, applications are generally only accepted between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. Please inquire with your local shop for more details.
- You cannot make MNP procedures if you use services such as mobile satellite phone or data-communications-only services.
- This application can also be submitted at the docomo Online Shop. When submitting an application at the docomo Online Shop, your MNP reservation number must be valid for at least 10 days.
Use docomo Shop Appointment
Use docomo Shop Appointment to make an appointment in advance so that you are served quickly. docomo Shop Appointment makes serving you a priority when you arrive at the shop.
- You will be attended to as soon as there are counter staff available. Please note that you may have to wait a short while.
- Hours available for appointment differ by shop and date.
Application can be submitted at the docomo Online Shop.
- When submitting an application at the docomo Online Shop, your MNP reservation number must be valid for at least 10 days.
- In the case of making a new subscription under a personal name, the application must be made by the subscriber. An application made by a representative (except family member of the subscriber) will not be accepted.
- For an application made by a family member of the subscriber, a letter of attorney, document verifying the identity of the family member of the subscriber, and document proving that the person applying is a family member of the subscriber (Family Register [Koseki Tohon] or Certificate of Residence (Juminhyo) without Individual Number (social security and tax number) printed on it, etc.) are required in addition to an identification document of the subscriber. When other than a Japanese driver's license or Individual Number Card (My Number Card) is used as the identification document of the member of the subscriber's family, an additional document is required.
- Bring your MNP reservation number you received when you applied for MNP.
- Valid period for MNP reservation number is 15 days including the day of reservation.
If you have a Japanese driver's license or Individual Number Card (My Number Card), bring it with you.
- Only a document showing your current address.
- A photocopy is not acceptable.
- For details, check Identification documents of the subscriber.
- Only a document verifying the full name and date of birth of the user.
- A photocopy is acceptable.
- Bring credit card or bank card, or bankbook and seal/signature under the name of the subscriber.
- Bank cards cannot be used in some stores and the bank cards of some financial institutions cannot be used. For details, check Application by Bank Card for Automatic Payment.
- For details, check Requirements for procedures to pay your monthly bill.
- Contract handling fee of ¥3,000 (This will be included in your bill the following month along with usage charges.)
- Payment for handset, accessories, etc.
- Holders of a d ACCOUNT (no mobile phone) under their personal name may use their accumulated points for purchasing a new device, etc. by requesting at the time of subscribing.
- Generally, the subscriber for the new NTT DOCOMO subscription must be the same as the subscriber for the current carrier subscription when using MNP. When applying for a new subscription with NTT DOCOMO, your identity will be verified with your current carrier.
- Your subscription with your current carrier is cancelled following application for MNP.
- If any information on the MNP application is falsified, you may be required to forfeit your current telephone number.
- Information related to use of MNP may be verified and disclosed between your current carrier and NTT DOCOMO.
- New NTT DOCOMO subscribers using a phone number issued by another carrier* through MNP will not be able to use services which include the following:
- Receiving 106 calls (collect calls)
- Receiving calls from public phones on trains
- A phone number issued by another carrier refers to a phone number that was assigned to a carrier other than NTT DOCOMO by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications.