Learn about procedures and items you will need to apply for a new subscription with DOCOMO.
Be sure to check Prevention of Improper Use of Mobile Phones Initiative in advance.
Contract handling fee
- In the case of making a new subscription under a personal name, the application must be made by the subscriber. An application cannot be accepted from a representative (except for a member of the subscriber's family).
- For an application made by a family member of the subscriber, a letter of attorney, document verifying the identity of the family member of the subscriber, and document proving that the person applying is a family member of the subscriber (Family Register [Koseki Tohon] or Certificate of Residence (Juminhyo) without Individual Number (social security and tax number) printed on it, etc.) are required in addition to an identification document of the subscriber. When other than a Japanese driver's license or Individual Number Card (My Number Card) is used as the identification document of the member of the subscriber's family, an additional document is required.
If you have a Japanese driver's license or Individual Number Card (My Number Card), bring it with you.
- To use Mobile Number Portability (MNP) when starting a new subscription with NTT DOCOMO, you first need to acquire from your current carrier an MNP reservation number.
- Generally, the subscriber for the new NTT DOCOMO subscription must be the same as the subscriber for the current carrier subscription when using MNP. When applying for a new subscription with NTT DOCOMO, your identity will be verified with your current carrier.
- Your subscription with your current carrier is cancelled following application for MNP.
- If any information on the MNP application is falsified, you may be required to forfeit your current telephone number.
- Information related to use of MNP may be verified and disclosed between your current carrier and NTT DOCOMO.
- New NTT DOCOMO subscribers using a phone number issued by another carrier2 through MNP will not be able to use services which include the following:
1. Receiving 106 calls (collect calls)
2. Receiving calls from public phones on trains
Procedures for new application with Mobile Number Portability (MNP)
View an explanation on information such as procedures for Mobile Number Portability (MNP) for those who wish to switch to DOCOMO right away using MNP.
How to buy a phone
- FOMA service subscribers can select Value Course or Basic Course when purchasing an applicable handset model.
- Xi "crossy" service subscribers can also purchase a handset specified by DOCOMO in installments (in Japanese only).
- If the expiry date on the Certificate of Alien Registration or residence card is before the end of the installment payment contract period, DOCOMO installment payment contract may not be able to be used.
How to Buy a Phone (in Japanese only)
Notes on procedures
- If any details (such as subscriber's name, address, contact information, or unpaid balances) provided in subscription application or otherwise stated are falsified or if the details provided are incomplete resulting in undeliverable subscription confirmation documents or other such postal mail, then service related to the contract in question may be suspended and such contract may be cancelled.
- If the service contract is cancelled due to overdue charges, other carriers will be notified in accordance with provisions stipulated in the terms of contract.
- When signing up for new mobile phone service, you can choose the last four digits of your phone number with our Phone Number Selection Service (in Japanese only).
- If you select to purchase a mobile phone in installments, you will need to apply for a separate DOCOMO installment payment contract (individual credit purchase brokerage contract or installment sale contract). The various terms and conditions can be found in the DOCOMO installment payment contract (individual credit purchase brokerage contract or installment sale contract).
Using a FOMA device with a Xi "crossy" subscription
FOMA devices (except for some models) can currently be used with Xi "crossy" subscriptions, but the following applies.
About services that can be used
- FOMA devices cannot use high-speed communications and some content for Xi "crossy" devices.
About Monthly Support and other FOMA subscription discount services subscribed to at the time of changing your subscription from FOMA
- If the discount of Monthly Support is currently being applied, it will no longer be applied.
- If the discount of Device Purchase Support is currently being applied, a cancellation charge will apply.
- If the discount of Basic Purchase Support is currently being applied, a cancellation charge will apply.
About your billing plan and packet flat-rate service
- Your billing plan and packet flat-rate service will be plans specifically for Xi "crossy".
About FOMA devices that cannot be used
- The following FOMA devices cannot be used (as of November 2012).
HT1100, HT-01A, HT-02A, HT-03A, M1000, NM850iG, NM706i, NM705i, M702iG, M702iS, and M2501
About using an Internet connection service other than i-mode and sp-mode
- If you are subscribed to DOCOMO's mopera U or Business mopera Internet, set the APN to "mopera.net" manually. Please see the user's manual of your model for how to configure the setting.
- If you are subscribed to another provider's service, be sure to check with the provider you are subscribed to beforehand, because using the Xi "crossy" service with your FOMA device may result in you no longer being able to connect to that service or having to pay the other provider's usage charges according to how long you are connected.
- If you change your subscription to the FOMA service without purchasing a FOMA device after subscribing to Xi "crossy", you will not be able to select Value Plan.
- In accordance with the Act for Prevention of Improper Use of Mobile Phones (effective as of April 1, 2006), DOCOMO is required to confirm the subscriber's identity with original identification documents as specified by DOCOMO and make a record of that confirmation. Even subscribers who already have a subscription with DOCOMO are required to confirm their identity with original identification documents. You are not permitted to transfer ownership of the docomo UIM Card (FOMA Card) used for the subscription to another party without notifying DOCOMO.
- In order to prevent mobile phone subscriptions that have been illicitly obtained with forged documents verifying identity from being used in bank transfer scams and other crimes, DOCOMO may determine that it is necessary to confirm the validity of the documents verifying identity (such as a Japanese driver's license) presented by the subscriber at the time of subscription. In such case, we may provide the issuing authority (police agencies, etc.) with the information of that document (Japanese driver's license, etc.) to confirm its validity. We ask for your understanding in our efforts to prevent bank transfer scams and other crime.
- In order to prevent large numbers of improper subscriptions under the same name, individuals are generally limited to a maximum of five line subscriptions, including currently active subscription lines, subscription lines for which the phone numbers are stored, and inactive subscription lines, under the same personal name for each line type determined by DOCOMO.
Unless otherwise specified, all indicated amounts exclude tax.