Check Items for Failures and Repairs
Information on what to bring when you submit your handset for repairs, the items to check beforehand, etc.
- For details on iPhone repairs, check the Apple website.
- For details on iPad repairs, check the Apple website.
- The warranty is valid for one year from the date of purchase.
- When repaired at a repair service center specified by DOCOMO, the warranty period will be for six months from the repair completion date. If this period overlaps the one year warranty period from the date of purchase, the warranty period will be the longest of the two periods. Some repairs such as case replacement and built-in battery replacement may not be applicable for a warranty period extension.
During the warranty period, repairs will be carried out for free based on the repair provisions specified by DOCOMO. In the following cases, your mobile phone is not applicable for free repairs even during the warranty period.
- The malfunction or damage was caused by incorrect use.
- Malfunction or damage was caused by modification (including modification of the software).
- Malfunction was caused by using other than the equipment or a consumable designated by DOCOMO.
- When a display, external connection terminal, etc. is damaged after purchase.
- When repaired at other than a repair service center specified by DOCOMO.
- In order to maintain the performance and quality of the mobile phone, we may repair parts other than those requested. A repair fee may apply in such cases.
After the warranty period has expired, repairs can be carried out upon request at your expense.
To have your mobile phone repaired, you will need to submit it to DOCOMO.
Cases in Which Repairs Are Difficult
Repairs may be difficult in the following circumstances.
Please note that even if repairs are possible, the cost of repairs may be very high.
- The internal circuit boards are corroded or rusty.
- The water exposure sticker has reacted.
- The cause of failure is determined to be water exposure during the repair inspection.
- Even if the water exposure sticker has not reacted, water exposure will be determined to have occurred if water ingress is confirmed during the repair inspection from, for example, corrosion or rust on the internal circuit boards.
Example of water exposure sticker reaction
- The position of the water exposure sticker and its pattern before water exposure and after water exposure may differ depending on the model.
- The left figure is just an image. There may be a difference in the amount of reaction depending on the circumstances of water exposure.
Damage (damage beyond repair)/dents
- The charging terminal jack, earphone jack, or display is damaged.
- The case is cracked or damaged.
- The internal circuit boards are damaged or deformed.
- If your mobile phone has been subjected to a shock or force such as from dropping it or carrying it in your pants pocket or bag, the internal circuit boards may have been damaged or deformed, even if it appears undamaged externally.
- The case has been opened and an internal part has been replaced.
- The case has been replaced with a non-DOCOMO genuine case.
- Paint or adhesive has been used to decorate the mobile phone.
- The basic software (OS) has been changed without authorization (the software has been altered or rooted).
- Including when it becomes clear in the examination at the repair center that the software has been altered.
If the information on the manufacturer's specification sticker cannot be read
- The manufacturer's specification sticker (for example, under the battery pack) certifies that the mobile phone meets technical standards. Please be aware that it may not be possible to carry out repairs if the specifications cannot be confirmed because the sticker has been removed, altered, etc.
If the repair parts availability period has expired
- Depending on the malfunction, parts shortages and other conditions may mean that the phone cannot be repaired even within the period of availability for a part.
- To find out whether your mobile phone can be repaired, check Repair Acceptance Conditions (in Japanese only).
- If multiple parts of your handset have malfunctioned or are damaged, we cannot accept a request for the repair of only one part. (For example, if the case is damaged and an internal malfunction has occurred [the power will not turn on], we will not repair just the internal malfunction.)
- Your handset will be returned after all parts have been repaired because we cannot guarantee the quality of the product if only one part is repaired.
Tasks such as saving data are not performed when your mobile phone is accepted for repairs. Please back up any necessary data before applying.
Backing up data
- We recommend that you make a copy of any Memory Dial (Phonebook) or other data when you register it.
- Your data may be altered or lost due to the malfunction or other problems. This may also occur in the following circumstances:
- If the mobile phone or DOCOMO UIM Card (FOMA Card) is mishandled by the subscriber or a third party
- If the mobile phone or DOCOMO UIM Card (FOMA Card) is exposed to static electricity
- If the phone suffers water or other damage
- When the phone is inspected or repaired, data saved on your phone may be altered or lost. This includes data that you created, imported from an external source, or downloaded. In addition, we may need to replace the phone instead of repairing it, and it may not be possible to transfer all your data and other information to the new phone. We cannot accept any responsibility for data alteration or loss that occurs in these circumstances.
- With some models, you can back up your Phonebook and other data to an external memory card.
- There are memory copy tools that allow you to copy or back up your Phonebook, bookmarks, and other data available at docomo Shops. You are welcome to use these tools.
- Note that it can take some time to copy all your data depending on the details of that data.
- It may not be possible to transfer data, depending on the type of data and your phone model. Please inquire at the shop or the docomo Information Center for details.
Data Transfer/Backup (in Japanese only)
Images and ringing tones downloaded from an official i-mode site will be transferred when you submit your handset for repairs.
Shops where transfer performed
docomo Shops, etc.
701i/901i series and later
For "Osaifu-Keitai" compatible models
DOCOMO does not provide support for the reissuance, recovery, temporary storage, transfer, etc. of the data within an IC card. For the details on data reissuance and other procedures, contact the relevant service providers.
- Some models and services are not supported.
- Some content cannot be transferred even if a handset is a compatible model.
- Data may not be able to be transferred depending on the condition of a handset.
- Apple, the Apple Logo, Apple Watch, iPad, iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. The iPhone trademark is used under license from AiPhone Co., Ltd. App Store, AppleCare, iCloud are service marks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. TM and © 2020 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
- Unless otherwise specified, all indicated amounts exclude tax.