What is a software update?
DOCOMO updates software for products after they go on sale to improve functionality and ease of use so you may better use your mobile phone.
Software can be updated easily without visiting a DOCOMO service counter. Just check if your mobile phone software needs updating, then download the latest software (no packet communications charges apply1) if necessary and overwrite the existing software. (Not available with some models.) Furthermore, updates performed after the provision of an OS version update are for the latest OS version.
Latest information on software updates
The latest information on software updates is provided on the DOCOMO website as it becomes available.
How to update your product
You can update your product yourself. The product update procedure differs by model so check the instructions specifically for your model. Instructions can also be found in the user's manual for your model.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged. Update may not be completed correctly otherwise.
- Never remove the battery pack while updating software. That may cause the phone to malfunction.
- You should perform software updates with the handset stationary and in a location with a strong signal (three bars for the antenna icon).
- The software update can be done while keeping Phonebook entries, camera images, downloaded data, and other data saved on the phone intact. However, please note that in some cases data cannot be protected depending on the condition of your mobile phone (malfunction, damage, and exposure to water).
- It is recommended that you back up necessary data. (Please note that it may not be possible to back up some data such as downloaded data.)
- You cannot update the software in the following cases:
During calls, during communications, when the date and time are not set (except with some handset models), and in certain other cases
- Other functions cannot be used while software is being updated, although voice calls can be answered while downloading.
- When the software update fails, the message indicated that rewrite failed appears and no further operations will be possible. In that case, please consult with a DOCOMO repair counter.
See user's manuals for details.
DOCOMO listens to customer feedback to improve the quality of mobile phones. The places mobile phones are used and their uses are becoming diverse with the rapid expansion of functions, and subscribers make inquiries on a variety of topics.
Subscribers provide a variety of input, with comments such as on noise when talking and problems with screen display. In response to that valuable input, DOCOMO promptly investigates whether or not the cause is hardware or software related, and studies ways to improve quality from a variety of aspects. As a result of those efforts, DOCOMO works to make improvements so good-quality products can be shipped from the factory at the earliest opportunity.
DOCOMO provides information on the service for updating software for products with a software update function. That way, you can easily update software without visiting a DOCOMO service counter. Furthermore, updates performed after the provision of an OS version update are for the latest OS version.
Some models of DOCOMO mobile phones incorporate a security scan function. This function provides peace of mind in the event of a virus that infects mobile phones.
If you set (Automatic update setting) and (Automatic scanning) to (Enable) in advance, the function will not only update the pattern data but will also automatically detect whether content and program data imported from external sources contain viruses and other malicious software that cause problems (= problem elements).
- DOCOMO recommends setting (Automatic update setting) and (Automatic scanning) to (Enable).
- In the case of the Security Scan Light function (M1000 only), you need to perform updating manually.
- Some functions may not be available depending on the model.
DOCOMO updates the OS version of some smartphone models after they go on sale to improve functionality and ease of use so you may better use your mobile phone.
The latest information on OS versions is provided on the DOCOMO website as it becomes available.
docomo Information Center
Service available in English, Portuguese, Chinese, and Spanish.
9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
From DOCOMO mobile phones
1133 (toll free, in Japanese only, 24 hours a day)